Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review: Weird Adventures


...blues man scribing the perfect murder ballad in the jaundice hue of a street light.  I want to be a smuggler running bootleg alchemicals in a forest infested with shotgun wielding ogres and they are the least of my worries.  I want to be a photographer who captured a picture of oil para-elementals tearing apart a rigging crew and is now running from big oil.  Rumor is they hired a hit fiend to get to me before the pictures could be released.  I want to be a scholar who's discovered the gargoyles have collect treasures through every history and store them in a sacred mountain.  I want to play Weird Adventures in black and white, wear a hat and pretend I smoke.

Weird Adventures is a world setting that takes very interesting twists on our real world.  Set in a world where weird is not weird, but the normal.  Where Ripley's Believe It or Not mixes with Film Noir and pulp magazines.  It's a world where you need to big...huge or no one will notice you.  It's a place for big adventures and big ideas. 

Trey has developed a world of some depth.  If you have every read his blog, From the Sorcerer'sSkull you know most of his posts are dedicated to the City and the surrounding world.  Nothing is out of bounds.  You can run this setting with pretty much any elements you can come up with.  The City is a playground to be explored and the wonders enjoyed.

I bought both the PDF and hardcover (actually two of them).  The books are gorgeous.  The artwork really enhances the content and you can tell they had a lot of fun.  Trey set up the book for easy reference, but I guarantee the first time you pick it up you'll read it cover to cover because it is a great read.  Then Trey added some great touches by adding mock advertisements.

I think Weird Adventures hits all the right notes.  If I did a rating system I would give it a 5 out of 5.  But I think the true test of a good gaming book is after you read it you want to play it.  And I want to play in The City.  I want to be...

8 comments:

  1. Agreed, this is one of the most exciting gaming books I've bought in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jack. And thanks for the review Tim. I hope you'll be up for playing one of the characters in an online game at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack When you write a post of a playlist for the game you must enjoy the game.

    Trey You are welcome. Thanks for writing it. And you have no idea how bad I want to play in The City.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, there's an online game being run in the City? How do I get in on that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you and the Whisk are feeling better, good sir.

    And I've been teetering about buying Weird Adventures. Your review may have tipped the scales....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it did Boric. You won't be disappointed. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been reading through "Weird Adventures" myself. It looks like a lot of fun. I have already started thinking about how to running some adventures.

    ReplyDelete